Wednesday, July 30, 2008

When it rains: 7.29.08

When it rains here in Guyana, it pours. When it pours, it floods, and when it floods it stinks. These are the thoughts that were circulating through my head yesterday as I waded through ankle-deep water around town and leaving my apartment. As all the employees stood, sheltered, outside the GRPA (clinic) yesterday marveling at the downpour and the subsequent flooding in Quamina Street, the reason for the flooding was explained. When "the river" is high, I assume the Demerara River, apparently the powers that be, keep the city drainage system closed. Thus, with a heavy rain, such as occurs often here during the three rainy seasons (one which we are in presently) this causes flooding in many of the streets around the city.  In my own apartment, I have learned, that during times like this, an awful, foul smell of sewage emanates from somewhere nearby. The smell is nearly nauseating. When discussing the flooding in Georgetown with another local and his wife, they both laughed when he proclaimed: "Guyana, the land of many waters." This is true. 

No comments: