Wednesday, July 30, 2008

2 schools of thought

"My mother-in-law put in for me." This is an excerpt from a conversation I had with a woman today as she explained to me, with excitement, that she would be moving to New Jersey in December. I feel as if I have encountered 2 schools of thought on the topic of emigration. There are those such as this woman, that dream of moving away from Guyana and who express to me, very happily, their plans to move to the States, upon learning my country of origin. And conversely, there are those that express their unyielding love for Guyana and their lack of desire to ever leave for any extended period of time. The woman I spoke with today was referring to the fact that her mother-in-law has agreed to serve as a reference, or put in a request, for her daughter-in-law's visa to visit the U.S. I am sure this process is disturbingly daunting, and I do not mean to contend that I know the least bit about emigrating to the States, nor do I even know about the process for obtaining a visa to get to visit the land of opportunity. To say the least, I am grossly oversimplifying the process, but this is what was shared with me today, as we sat together to begin going through the microbicide acceptability survey. 
I have had the pleasure of being told many different stories and thoughts related to the United States, as I have sat in this same position with, I'd like to say,  innumerable women, but I do know the exact number: 136. It is just an interesting thing to consider as a U.S. citizen, living temporarily in a foreign country that did not require of me the obtaining of visa. I am trying very hard not to call myself an "American," as I have been corrected and questioned many times, by people of varying origin, about the use by U.S. citizens of this term. Understandably its use is considered quite inappropriate, if not outright arrogant, seeing as everyone in Guyana, let alone the continent of South America, as well as the many Canadians I have met here, are all, also Americans. It is in fact a rather vague and exceptionally broad point of identification. 
Today I was reminded of the stories my friend Fabian has shared of becoming a U.S. citizen as an immigrant from Costa Rica, and the work it involved... Just something I am thinking about in this time when "walls" are being built around countries (meaning my own) and foreigners are having to be "harbored" "illegally" in churches around the United States. There has to be a better way. 

No comments: