Monday, July 14, 2008

downtown Georgetown

Today was a good one. I completed 11 surveys & I wasn't even there all day. I had to leave around 11:30 b/c I ran out of surveys, so luckily for me, there is a copy center right down the street, in between the GRPA clinic and the Oasis Cafe where I use the internet, so I dropped off my original, put in my request, and went over to the cafe to wait. Then my neighbor, Elizabeth called & asked if I wanted to walk with her to lunch at a place called German's. She met me here at Oasis & we walked there together- it was good to walk around a bit more here near the GRPA clinic, which is in the Downtown of Georgetown. The restaurant we went to is actually technically in an area that is mentioned as a ward not to go to. The ward (or neighborhood) is called Tiger Bay. But, the restaurant, German's, is right on the border off of Main Street & only a block into Tiger Bay. Tiger Bay is technically somewhat near downtown, on the other side of Main Street, towards the ocean. Everyone says that going to German's is fine, so no worries readers. Elizabeth has gone many, many times, even by herself to lunch there, and it was totally fine going there, and a very busy place. I had a dish called cookup (it is the only vegetarian item to chose from) and I had it with fried fish on top. Cookup is a traditional Guyanese dish which is made of rice and coconut milk and anything else vegetable wise, left in the kitchen. A way to use up leftover veggies, beans. Today mine had some split peas, onions and corn. It was very satisfying. I had it with a side of achar and pepper, which are the common dallops of condiment, to have with most Guyanese food. I asked for both. Achar has a mild spice to it, but is more bitter. And, pepper is-well, pepper.  I like them both. I am all about condiments & sauces. The entire meal with a yummy juice cost under 5 dollars, which is always nice.

On the way to the restaurant we walked past the president's home which is a relatively simple, sprawling, wooden building and quite nice. There was a metal fence around the perimeter but you could still see right onto the property, which for some reason surprised me. It was fun to see it, just right there exposed. After lunch we walked to the Craft Mall which is a zig-zagging row of booths and mini shops downtown. I was able to see for the first time some of the local Guyanese made crafts. One of the highlights included the various products made of a special wood called purple heart wood. It is quite unique looking, purple wood... It was so nice of Elizabeth to give me a little tour of the downtown. I saw the City Library and also a perfect view of the famous wooden cathedral downtown. 

Some things that stand out when walking around: horse drawn carriages amid the hectic streets, the many, many scavenging dogs digging in trash (I swear each dog almost looks exactly the same) the mini-buses, which zoom by playing loud reggae music, and the diverse population. I am noticing it a little more lately. What else do I notice when walking around, the sun. It is a warm one, although I think it is less humid here than I imagined it to be. Last night there was a spectacular rain. I am talking serious down pour, as if the sky literally opened up and released its contents. It was awesome. 



1 comment:

Erin A. Loskutoff said...

congrats on your survey progress! geez, i owe you an answer...some of my surveys are distributed to people while i go door-to-door with my colleagues, in other cases we set up shop along a sidewalk with tables and chairs and recruit folks as they walk by. not sure about the accuracy of one approach over the other (?) as people who are left in their own homes to complete the survey do not have the benefit of askinq us questions...but they also won't receive our (unintentional) bias.

i have about 120 surveys to go. hoping to finish this week, enter the data once...and then do it all again so i have a double record. awesome. BUT i am also planning an escape to yunnan province in the west, where the mountain scenery is fabled to be breathtaking :)

hugs,
erin