Thursday, July 17, 2008

Slow moving...

So, I cannot expect everyday to be perfect for data collection. I know this. The past few days have been quite a bit slower, and I cannot help but feel a bit frustrated by the time lost. I am learning that data collection can include quite a bit of down time and waiting. Patience I have, but the sitting and waiting makes me feel anxious at times. I was unable to get my personal, minimum goal yesterday and today has started off very slow as well. I know this should be expected at times, but I just feel the snail's pace more pressing today. I think sometimes when the data collection slows, I start to feel more lonely...

I do pass the time of course. I am reading an excellent book by Micheal Pollan, The Omnivore's Dilemma. I am devouring it actually. Who knew that I would get quite so captivated reading his explanations of the intricate way in which the grass takes in energy from the sun, and enchanted by his description of the chorus of previously unheard of, organisms whose daily tasks include enriching the soil. I had no idea what ruminants were, and definitely did not know the contributions they make to the grass, which in turn has captured the energy from the sun and shares this energy with us, humans, as we either eat the vegetables and grains grown in the soil or eat the animal grazing on it. Pollan describes it as "transforming sunlight into protein." It is utterly amazing to read about the circular process in which we are all connected to the sun, soil, plants and animals. And, it is utterly distrubing to read how industrial farming and of course, our government, and agribusiness, has stepped in and arrested this almost magical, process in favor of mass production and money. Control, I guess we always think we have to have it- even in cases like this, when we never needed it, as it was working itself out beautifully. Pollan reminds us in his novel, that we are what we eat, and how most of us have no idea the madness that is unknowingly added to the now, disjointed food chain. I am telling you- the book is worth reading. Food for thought: "By fertilizing the world, we alter the planet's composition of species and shrink its biodiversity."

Reading Pollan's descriptions of these slow, natural processes, such as the way in which cattle, chickens, the sun and a thoughtful and simple orchestration of them, can enrich the soil and in turn the food we eat, this reminds me to be patient, and to be OK with the slow moving. The need to move faster is how our world steers itself father and farther from the point.

Pictures: a Georgetown Business and the Dorothy Bailey Clinic (above): where I spend a few days per week.

3 comments:

BTD said...

Well put. I am looking forward to reading it, and seeing you!

Rosha said...

Gina -
How funny! I'm reading the same book. Sitting on the bus, eating biscuts and hard boiled eggs for lunch, reading about organic salad and salivating. It is a good reminder to take things slow... My data collection was painfully slow at times. Once, 11 hrs in the hospital with only 1 birth observed. Pathalogic patience, as they say here... is necessary. Keep writing. Can't wait to see you.
Rosha

Unknown said...

Haha. I'm reading Omnivore's Dilemma too right now! Pretty cool.