Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Ethembeni: clinic life

Ethembeni clinic: Yesterday, 7.25.07, we visited one of the 13 satellite clinics operated by Department of Public Health nurses. The waiting room was packed with women, men & children awaiting a visit with the nurse. Some to get ARVs, some for antenatal care, and many for other various ailments. The beauty of this place- is that it is operated by nurses- all 13 of the clinics in fact. The nurse I observed operated like a Nurse Practitioner. It was such a great thing to see, because as far as we have been able to tell- NP is not a role held in South Africa. These lead nurses in the clinics however, may not be called by this title, but they seem to act as such.

The nurse I observed did assessments, diagnosed & dispensed medications. I watched her do a routine antenatal (or prenatal) visit. She measured the fundal height, listened for fetal heart tone (not with a doppler, but a plastic device you put your ear up to- I am sure I should know the name of it), and she palpated for the position of the fetus. It was such a pleasure to see her in action, and was role in which I could totally see myself- especially if I could speak Zulu... Yebo.

As a former manager of a community health family planing clinic in Cali, I could not help but note the details of the procedure for seeing patients. There were no appointments. The patients came in on a first come, first serve basis, and waited as long as it took to be seen. There were 2 "clinicians"- the lead nurses seeing patients and at least one nurse taking blood pressure, weight & blood & urine type measurements. There were several lay counselors that were doing VCT: voluntary counseling & testing, for HIV testing, as well as counseling on medication adherence, & PMTCT: prevention of mother-to-child transmission, of HIV- for pregnant patients. There were front desk staff and the chairs for waiting patients spilled out onto the covered front porch. I read every detail on the wall when I was in the room with the nurse. There were antenatal care visit guidelines, STI treatment guidelines, diabetes medication guidelines, and an injectable contraceptive calendar- all hanging on the wall. Oh how it reminded me of my life at PP. I just love clinic life, and it was great to feel it in my blood again- even in the other side of the world. I wanted to start working there right away, if only I was already a NP...
Amazing to me how similar rural Msinga can feel like urban Richmond, California at times like this. Instead of me struggling with my Spanish I struggle with comprehending the musical language of Zulu. Practicing my humorous linguistic "clicks," oh so natural to the people here. My Sewanee anthropology professor & advisor, Dr. O'Connor would be so proud.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gina: Your blog is fascinating. I'm going to be going to Tugela Ferry in October as Assoc Producer on a documentary film crew. We're making a film on some of the pioneering AIDS doctors, including Jerry Friedland, who does a lot of work at COSH. I have a lot of questions and wonder if we might talk on the phone sometime. I'm in Boulder, CO, and the producer is in NYC. Are you in CT? Anyway, please give me a call at 720-839-3738 or email goulder@comcast.net when you get a chance.

Alex Goulder

Piwakawaka said...

Gina!!! i dreamed about you last night, i've been reading your blog (thank goodness for Google search!), and i'm so proud and awestruck by your actions. How long are you over there for? how did you get there? i heard from long lost Matty yesterday, and i found you almost on the same day. Great synchronicity. I haven't read all your adventures yet, but i plan to. Stay safe, take care, and keep up the amazing and inspiring work.
lots of love
Nicola
xxxx